Want to help someone who stammers? These are some tips to employ:
- Maintain good eye contact as much as possible.
- Demonstrate good listening skills through good use of body language.
- Do not rush the conversation and avoid seeming in a hurry to get away.
- Show an interest in what they have to say rather than pity or impatience with how they are talking.
- Avoid asking him/her to slow down or take a deep breathe whilst they are still talking.
- Never tease a person with a stammer because they stammer. It can seriously damage their self-confidence.
- Keep your own speech rate at an even pace.
- Read about stammering and how you can make talking easier for people who stammer.